The SWS Career Development Committee has launched a new initiative to support and engage applied sociologists. This new website portal is focused entirely on topics and concerns related to applied sociology. For example, you will find:
- Biographies of SWS applied sociologists, done in partnership with Applied Worldwide
- Blog posts by applied sociologists and/or about applied sociology
- Podcast episodes by applied sociologists and/or about applied sociology
- Video interviews with applied sociologists
- [SPPS Webinar] Careers Paths in Applied & Public Sociology; Co-sponsored by SWS
SWS members who are interested in and/or currently engaged in applied sociology can join the listserve. Instructions for joining can be found here.
Other applied initiatives being launched include:
The Career Development Committee (CDC) offers mentoring programs for aspiring and current applied sociologists. These include:
- One-on-one matches in which we will match SWSers who applied sociologists with those looking for a mentor.
- Peer mentoring groups, in which those interested and/or pursuing applied sociology careers meet to support one another and share knowledge and information.
- Webinars on applied sociology
- Workshops/panel presentations on applied sociology at SWS meetings
- A formal statement on applied sociology for SWS
- The potential for creating an Applied Sociology Award for SWS (or integrating applied into the Social Action award)
- Lots more!