Last updated: June 15, 2018
Sociologists for Women in Society (“SWS”) is a Connecticut based non-profit corporation that maintains the following Website: http://www.socwomen.org (the “Website”).
Using the Website means you agree to review and follow the following:
- Privacy Notice
- All updates; and
- Any other policy or rule posted on the Website.
Together, these Terms, the Privacy Notice, updates, and other policies and rules form the complete agreement between you and SWS. The most recent version of these Terms always supersedes any previous version, whether oral or written.
The purpose of the Website is assist SWS in furthering its mission, which includes: (1) encouraging the development of sociological feminist theory and scholarship; (2) transforming the academy through feminist leadership, career development, and institutional diversity; (3) promoting social justice through local, national, and international activism; and (4) supporting the publication and dissemination of cutting edge feminist social science.
By using the Website, you agree that:
- If you decide to rely on information received from the Website, you do so at your own risk;
- You do not have the right to make a claim that you were harmed because you used the Website;
- You will use the Website in accordance with the laws of the jurisdiction where you are located.
Who May Use The Website
To use any part of the Website, you must be:
- 13 or older, and
- Legally able to agree to the terms of using the Website or use the Website with a guardian or other representative who is able to legally agree to the terms of using the Website.
You may use the Website if you:
- Do not use it for any commercial purpose,
- Credit SWS as the source of any information from the Website, either by copyright or attribution, and
- Consent to having any information you provide to SWS, including personal information, transferred to and processed in the United States.
Not for Commercial Use
You may not use the Website for any commercial purpose. Unless SWS gives you its written permission, you may not reproduce, copy, change, publish, display, or distribute any part of the Website, except as allowed herein.
Use of Forums
The Website may include bulletin boards, chat rooms, e-mails, requests for information or other forums (“Forums”). SWS is not responsible for any material posted on the Forums, and it is a condition of your use of the Forums and the Website that you shall not upload, transmit, distribute or otherwise publish through such Forums any content which:
- Violates any law;
- Libels, defames, misleads, is obscene, hateful, racist, harassing, vulgar, pornographic, abusive, threatening, profane or indecent, including images and language;
- Infringes any intellectual property rights of a person or entity, including without limitation, violating a copyright or trademark or other proprietary right or derivative works with respect thereto;
- Violates or infringes upon the rights of others, including material which is an invasion of privacy or publicity rights;
- In any way exploits any information, software or other material for commercial purposes or which contains advertising, promotion or marketing;
- Solicits gambling or engages in any gambling activity; contains a virus or other harmful component; advocates illegal activity; or
- Advertises or otherwise solicits funds or is a solicitation of funds for goods or services or solicits any illegal act.
Further, you agree to not use the Website and/or Forums to:
- Harm a person in any way;
- Misrepresent your affiliation with a person or agency or impersonate a person or agency, including SWS or its staff;
- Upload content that you do not have a right to transmit, including information from fiduciary relationships, such as inside information, proprietary and confidential information learned or disclosed as part of employment relationships or under nondisclosure agreements;
- Stalk or harass someone; or
- Use any function of the Website to collect or store personal data about other users unless SWS and the user(s) have authorized you to do so.
While SWS does not and cannot review every message posted by users in the Forums and is not responsible for the content of these messages, SWS reserves the right to delete, move, or edit messages that it, in its sole discretion, deems abusive, defamatory, obscene, in violation of copyright or trademark laws, or unacceptable as set forth hereinabove or otherwise. You acknowledge that SWS reserves the right to, and may from time to time, monitor any and all information transmitted or received, for operational and other purposes. Use of the Website constitutes consent to such monitoring.
No Illegal Activity
SWS may investigate complaints and reported violations of these Terms. If we suspect illegal or inappropriate activity, we may report it to law enforcement officials, regulators, or other parties. We may disclose user information of anyone or any entity involved in that activity to the extent necessary, including, but not limited to: user profiles, e-mail addresses, usage history, submitted or uploaded materials, IP addresses, and traffic information. If possible, we will take reasonable steps to minimize the disclosure of confidential information of users who are not the target of the investigations, such as by redacting confidential information.
SWS’s Ownership Rights
SWS alone owns its copyrights to the Website’s layout, graphics, navigation design, source code, the collective and compiled copyrights in its databases, and all other content created by SWS employees, contractors, consultants, and contributors to the Website.
You may not use or alter any of the information or content on the Website in any way, except that you may use the Website and print copies of it for personal, non-commercial use. Any print-outs from the Website must retain all copyright, trademark and other proprietary notices.
You may not use SWS’s trademarks, service marks, or trade dress in any way, including in:
- Services or products not owned by SWS,
- A way that causes confusion or implies that SWS sponsors, endorses, or is connected to your own activities, products, or services,
- Hidden or embedded text in web pages, or
- A way that is critical of SWS or the Website.
Follow SWS’s Rules
To use the Website you must follow these Terms unless you get SWS’s express written permission to do otherwise.
- Interfere with the Website or the servers and networks connected to the Website; or
- Disobey any requirement, procedure, policy or regulation of a network connected to the Website.
You must not use any part of the Website, its content, or its underlying programs to:
- Decompile, extract or disassemble our source code;
- Copy, change, reproduce, republish, distribute, display, or transmit for commercial, non-profit or public purposes any part of the Website, its content or its software, except as allowed by other terms of this agreement;
- Rent, lease, loan, sell, sublicense, or create derivative works from the Website, except as allowed by the terms of this agreement;
- Use software or other method to monitor or copy our Website;
- Determine the Website architecture or extract information about usage, users, or their identities; or
- Use, export, or re-export any part of the Website or its content in violation of U.S. export control laws.
You must not use any material owned by SWS or licensed to SWS by a third party for any use, especially not for any commercial use. This includes:
- Text, forms, documents, images, graphics, logos, or button icons,
- Any other material or information you get from a SWS’s contributors,
- Other content or copyright material owned by SWS or a SWS contributor, and
- Any SWS trademark, service mark, or logo.
Communications with SWS & Privacy
You may communicate with SWS by e-mail.
The Website may list links to other websites. We do this for your convenience only. When you click on a link to other websites, you leave the Website. Those links are not a recommendation or approval of those websites or their owners. Such third party websites, even if cobranded with SWS’s logo, are not under SWS’s control. We are not responsible for those websites, the information, services or products they may offer, or any loss or damage you may have at those websites.
You may not link to SWS’s Website from another website for commercial purposes. Any links to SWS’s Website from other websites do not imply any affiliation between SWS and those other websites.
When you use the Website, you do so at your own risk. SWS does not provide support to users of the Website. The Website is provided to you “as is, and as available.” SWS does not guarantee or warrant the Website or its content to be always available, correct, up-to-date, reliable, free of viruses or other defects, or that any problems or inaccuracies will be corrected.
SWS is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to:
- The hardware or software you use to access the Website,
- Your use of the Website or its content for any purpose, including related to legal advice,
- Any errors or omissions in the content at the Website or other Website you are directed to from the Website, or
- The unavailability of the Website or its content.
SWS makes no guarantee that any material on the Website is
- Suitable for any special purpose, or
- Free of any claim of ownership by a third party.
SWS DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, TITLE, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT.
SWS PROVIDES ALL CONTENT ON THE WEBSITE ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, SWS DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE. THESE WARRANTIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
BY YOUR USE OF THE WEBSITE, YOU AGREE TO WAIVE ANY AND ALL CLAIMS RELATING TO THE USE OF THE WEBSITE OR ITS CONTENT, WHETHER SUCH CLAIMS ARE AGAINST SWS OR ANY OTHER PERSON WHO HAS SUPPLIED CONTENT TO THE WEBSITE. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY SHALL SWS OR ANY OTHER PARTY INVOLVED IN CREATING, PRODUCING, OR DELIVERING THE WEBSITE BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON FOR ANY SPECIAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ATTORNEYS’ FEES) IN ANY WAY DUE TO, RESULTING FROM, OR ARISING IN CONNECTION FROM, YOUR ACCESS TO, USE OF, OR INABILITY TO USE, THE WEBSITE. TO THE EXTENT THE FOREGOING LIMITATION OF LIABILITY IS PROHIBITED OR FAILS OF ITS ESSENTIAL PURPOSE, THE SOLE OBLIGATION OF SWS OR ANY OTHER PERSON WHO HAS SUPPLIED CONTENT TO THE WEBSITE TO YOU FOR DAMAGES SHALL BE LIMITED TO $100.00. NO ACTION, REGARDLESS OF FORM, ARISING OUT OF THESE TERMS MAY BE BROUGHT BY YOU MORE THAN ONE (1) YEAR AFTER THE EVENT UNDERLYING THE CAUSE OF ACTION HAS OCCURRED. THE TERMS OF THIS SECTION WILL SURVIVE ANY TERMINATION OF THESE TERMS AND YOUR USE OF THE WEBSITE. IN JURISDICTIONS THAT RESTRICT LIMITATION OF LIABILITY PROVISIONS, SWS’S LIABILITY WILL BE LIMITED TO THE GREATEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. THE FEES (OR LACK THEREOF) CHARGED FOR ACCESS TO THE WEBSITE OR THE SERVICES AVAILABLE THROUGH THE WEBSITE HAVE BEEN CALCULATED BASED ON THESE LIMITATIONS.
These Terms will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the Connecticut, without regard to its conflict of laws provisions. You consent to the jurisdiction of the federal courts located within the Connecticut and waive all objections to such jurisdiction and venue.
You agree to indemnify and hold harmless SWS and any third party providing content to the Website, from any and all claims, losses, expenses, damages and costs, including but not limited to reasonable attorneys’ fees, arising as a result of your use of the Website.
Enforcing SWS’s Rights
When you use the Website, you agree that any use that violates these Terms may cause irreparable injury to SWS. If you do not follow these terms, you agree that SWS will:
- Have the right to non-monetary relief, including a court order requiring you to stop or to perform any relief a court may impose, and
- Not have to post any bond or other security.
Third Party Rights
SWS and any contributor or other third party submitting materials to the Website have the right to enforce this agreement’s provisions with regard to Disclaimer, Liability, and Indemnification against you on its own behalf.
If any part of these Terms is found invalid or unenforceable, SWS and you agree that:
- All other parts of this agreement are valid,
- The intended meaning of the invalidated part will be replaced with language that closely matches SWS’s original intent, and
- This agreement remains valid.
Even if a term of this agreement goes unenforced, SWS does not waive any part of this agreement, unless it does so in writing.
Notification of Alleged Copyright Infringement
SWS reserves the right to remove any content that allegedly infringes a third party’s copyright or otherwise violates the rights of any third party, or for any reason whatsoever, and to prohibit further use of the Website by the individuals responsible for said infringement or violation. SWS also reserves the right to pursue any party that submits an erroneous declaration. If you believe that any content appears on the Website in violation of your copyright or other proprietary rights, you should send a notice to SWS by first-class mail, return receipt requested, at the following address: SWS, P.O. Box 150, South Glastonbury, CT 06073. Such notice should include the following:
- Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed.
- Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity. Include information reasonably sufficient to permit SWS to locate the material.
- Information reasonably sufficient to permit SWS to contact you, such as an address, telephone number, and, if available, an e-mail address.
- The signature of the complaining party.
- Include the following statement: “I have a good faith belief that use of the copyrighted materials described above as allegedly infringing is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.”
- Include the following statement: “I swear, under penalty of perjury, that the information in the notification is accurate and that I am the copyright owner or am authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.”
The version of these Terms, currently available on the Website, incorporating by reference any supplemental rules, terms or policies posted on the Website, constitutes the complete statement of the agreement between you and SWS for your use of the Website.