This Privacy Notice describes:
- the information that the Sociologists for Women in Society (“SWS” or “we”) collects from you in any form, including when you interact with our website www.socwomen.org (“Website”);
- how SWS collects, uses and discloses the information that we receive, including sharing that information with third parties; and
- how we store and secure information.
Services We Provide
SWS uses the information it collects to carry out its nonprofit mission which includes: (1) encouraging the development of sociological feminist theory and scholarship; (2) transforming the academy through feminist leadership, career development, and institutional diversity; (3) promoting social justice through local, national, and international activism; and (4) supporting the publication and dissemination of cutting edge feminist social science.
Specifically, SWS offers the following services (“Services”). We:
- provide the opportunity for members to network, present their research, hear the latest research in the field, and learn about career-related matters at SWS’s two annual meetings. SWS recognizes the accomplishments of its members through awards and it subsidizes the cost of attending meetings for members who meet income criteria;
- maintain an on-line member and speaker directory;
- publishes a journal, Gender & Society, which is available to all SWS members. The journal is available digitally or members can request to get a hard copy from SWS’s publisher, Sage Publishing. SWS also publishes a quarterly newsletter, Network News, which is publicly available on SWS’s website;
- provide the opportunity for members to communicate with each other via listservs. There is a student listserv and a general listserve, which are available to all members. Using the listserv, members learn about job opportunities, publication opportunities, conference presentation opportunities, and share resources such as good publications to use in their research or teaching. Also, SWS plans to initiate Group Forums for members so they have the opportunity to have more personalized conversations with one another; and
- help promote, through its various committees, members’ research, writes letters on behalf of individuals who have faced discrimination, supports participation in conversations about gender equality at the UN level and identifies Global Feminist Partners.
How to Contact Us:
- If you have any questions regarding this Privacy Notice, you may contact via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org, by phone at: 860-989-5651, or by U.S. Mail at: SWS, P.O. Box 150, South Glastonbury, CT 06073.
Information We Collect
Information You Provide Us
Membership – SWS collects information that you voluntarily provide to us to enroll as a member of SWS and for SWS to create your membership account. In order to enroll as a member, the following information is requested: name, address, telephone number, email address, income range (tied to amount of membership fee), race/ethnicity, gender identity, listserve preferences, academic interests and areas of interest. You may also choose to provide a photograph as part of your membership profile. Because subscription to our journal, Gender & Society, comes with the SWS membership, SWS also collects information on whether you would like to access the journal electronically through our Website or if you would like a paper copy delivered by mail.
Event Registration – SWS collects information you provide to us directly or through a third-party site to register for an SWS event or to seek reimbursement for expenses related to an event under our cost-sharing program. You may choose to provide information about dietary or accessibility needs and SWS would use that information solely to ensure that SWS can meet your needs at the event. We do not store dietary or accessibility need information and use it only for event planning purposes.
Information from Third-Party Services
If you choose to register for an event or pay for membership or event fees on-line, you will be directed to one or more third-party sites to process the registration and payment information. Those third-party sites share information with SWS that you provided to them except that the third-party sites do not share complete payment information with us. They share only the last four digits of your card number and expiration date with us. To be clear, SWS does not obtain full payment card or financial account information from third-party providers and it will never collect that information from you through our Website.
Third party payment processors also process payments made at an SWS event. For example, SWS uses Square to process on-site payments at our Winter Auction. SWS does not receive any other information from any other third-parties about you.
Information We Receive From Your Use of Our Website
Links to Third Party and Co-Branded Website
How We Use and Share Your Information
SWS uses your information only for purposes of providing the Services described above. We do not sell your information to anyone. Specifically, we will use or share your information as detailed below.
With Your Consent. We may share your information with third parties if you have given us your consent to do so.
To perform services. We may disclose your information to third parties in order to perform services you request, such as sending your mailing address information to our publisher to mail a copy of our journal if you told us to send you a paper copy.
To Communicate with You. We use your information when needed to send you information about our services and to respond to you when you contact us. You can control these communications by using your notification preferences in account settings or via the “Unsubscribe” instructions in your welcome email when you were initially subscribed to the listserv.
With third party service providers performing services on our behalf. We may share information with our third party service providers to perform the functions for which we engage them. We may share information as needed to operate other related services.
To improve, personalize, and develop Services. We use the information we collect to improve and personalize Services and to develop new services and benefits.
For legal purposes. We may preserve or disclose information about you to comply with a law, regulation, legal process, or governmental request; to assert legal rights or defend against legal claims; or to prevent, detect, or investigate illegal activity, fraud, abuse, violations of our terms, or threats to the security of the Services or the physical safety of any person.
Legal Basis for Processing Your Information
We will only use your personal data when the law allows us to. Most commonly, we will use your personal data in the following circumstances:
- Where it is necessary for us to provide Services to you, such as membership services or event preparation, our legal basis for processing your information is our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) so long as your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests;
- Where we need to perform the contract we are about to enter into or have entered into with you;
- Where we need to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation; or
- When we have your clear and unambiguous consent (e.g. the listserv or communication forums we offer to members).
Your Options Regarding Personal Data
You can opt-out of receiving any marketing communications from us at any time by contacting us or following the unsubscribe instructions at the bottom of electronic communications.
Change Your Information
You can change, update, or delete your information with us at any time by contacting us.
Access or Object to Use of Your Information
In addition to the opt-out and edit options, if you are in a country within the European Economic Area (EEA), you can request access to your information, object to or seek to restrict our processing of your information in certain circumstances. Please note that you can always ask us to delete your information from all marketing communications or subscriptions at any time.
If you need further assistance regarding your options, please contact us and we will consider your request in accordance with applicable laws. If you are in the EEA, you also have a right to lodge a complaint with your local data protection authority.
We keep your membership information, like your name, email address, and password, for as long as your membership is active because we need it to provide you the Services. When you cease to be a member, we keep information about you long enough to determine that you are no longer interested in being a member and long enough to ensure accurate record keeping. Information that you provide for a specific purpose, such as dietary needs for event planning purposes, will be maintained only as long as necessary for event administration. We treat cost-sharing information as financial records and will maintain them as such for an appropriate period. Finally, we also retain information to comply with applicable law, prevent fraud, resolve disputes, troubleshoot problems, assist with any investigation, collect any fees owed or other actions permitted by law.
We use a combination of technical, administrative, and physical controls to maintain the security of your data. We employ industry-standard security measures designed to protect the security of all information submitted to SWS directly or indirectly. No method of transmitting or storing data is completely secure, however. If you have a security-related concern, please contact Us. Always be sure to secure your login credentials for on-line access. In order to protect you and your data, we may suspend your use of any of the on-line service, without notice, pending an investigation, if any breach of security is suspected.
Children’s Privacy: Our Website are NOT Child-Directed
Children under thirteen (13) should not send any information about themselves to SWS. We do not collect personally identifiable data from any person that we know to be under the age of thirteen (13). If we learn that a child under thirteen (13) has submitted information to SWS through any part of our Website, we will attempt to delete this information as soon as practical.
Changes to this Privacy Notice
If you are a member of SWS or have used our Services and if you have provided your contact information, we will notify you before we make any material changes to this Privacy Notice. You can then decide whether you would like to continue to use the Services.
Effective date: June 15, 2018