Call for Applications for Campus Visit by 2021 Distinguished Feminist Activism Award Winner: Dr. Brittany Pearl Battle
Subcommittee Chair: Ghassan Moussawi, email@example.com
Members of the Feminist Activism Award Subcommittee for 2022: Brittany Battle, Rocío Garcia, and Latoya Council
History and Overview
The SWS Feminist Activism Award, established in 1995, is presented annually to an SWS member who has notably and consistently used sociology to improve conditions for women in society. The award honors outstanding feminist advocacy efforts that embody the goal of service to women and that have identifiably improved women’s lives. The 2019 award winner will be asked to present a lecture at an SWS meeting (summer if it can be arranged) and on one college or university campus during the 2020-2021 academic year to share expertise and experiences workshops, or training sessions) of feminist activism. SWS will fund the campus visit (within specified limits) and the host campus will provide housing and meals. (Application guidelines for campus visits are announced in a separate call.)
Nominate an SWSer whose feminist activism work has inspired you and/or others. The nomination process is simple, requiring a letter that substantiates the nominee’s engagement in and contribution to society via feminist activism. (An example of a former nomination letter can be obtained from the SWS Executive Office.)
Criteria for Selection
- Evidence of the nominee’s contributions to feminist activism as an SWS member who has consistently used sociology to better the lives of women
- Recipients can include volunteers, non-volunteers, academicians, and private/public sector
- The focus of the award is on feminist advocacy and outreach.
- A nomination letter that provides an accounting of the nominee’s activist contributions and their impact (others may sign as well, in support of the case made by the official letter).
- Links to websites or other documentation that describe(s) and illustrate(s) the nominee’s activist work and its impact (testimonials from those benefiting from or witnessing the activism can participate)
- The nominee’s curriculum vitae or resume
- Multiple nominators are invited to sign the letter written by the primary nominator
- Please submit all files in one document via the Awards Form that can be accessed via: sws.memberclicks.net.
- Receipt of nomination packages will be acknowledged via email
- Nominator/s of winner and the winner will be notified via email and on official letterhead from the SWS Executive Office; nominator(s) of non-winners will be notified via email by the Executive Office
- Nominations are kept current for three years, after which they are put aside until a new request is made by the nominator. Nominators are responsible or keeping records current. The nominator must contact the Feminist Activism Award Committee Chair annually to make sure the file is under consideration.
You must be an SWS member to nominate someone for this award and the person you nominate must also be an SWS member. October 1, 2022 ET Deadline.
Benefits of Award
- Certificate Awarded at Winter Meeting Banquet
- $250 award check given at the SWS Winter Meeting Banquet
- Winter Meeting Registration
- Up to $500 travel expenses for the Summer Meeting at which the awardee presents a lecture
Obligations of Award Winner
- Attendance at Winter Meeting (to receive award)
- One campus visit during the academic year following the year during which the award is presented [e.g., the 2019 winner will complete one campus visit in the 2020-2021 academic year]
- Present lecture at an SWS Summer Meeting following the year in which award is presented (e.g., 2020 winner will present a lecture at Summer 2021 Meeting)
An awardee is asked to indicate in writing their awareness of the Award’s obligations and their intent to fulfill them.
2021 Feminist Activism Awardee Brittany Pearl Battle
2020 Feminist Activism Awardee: Ophra Leyser-Whalen
2019 Feminist Activism Awardee: Amy Blackstone
2018 Feminist Activism Awardee: Mindy Fried
2017 Feminist Activism Awardee: Tressie McMillan Cottom
Please Click HERE to see Tressie’s SWS Feminist Activism Awardee Talk from November 2018 that the University of Baltimore hosted.
SWS AWARDS COMMITTEE
PROTOCOLS FOR CAMPUS SELECTION AND VISIT
FEMINIST ACTIVIST AWARDEE
Recognizing that some campuses are hostile to feminist and intersectional perspectives and/or that personal experiences and relationships could contribute to an unwelcoming environment, the SWS Awards Committee has agreed upon the following protocols to ensure safety of visiting speakers as well as their preparation before a campus visit.
- The awardee will be advised once all applications have been received and informed of the campuses that have applied for a campus visit.
- In the case that the awardee is uncomfortable with visiting any of the campuses, they will inform the chair of the selection subcommittee and that campus will be removed from the application pool.
- After the campus has been selected and before the campus visit, the Executive Officer will arrange a Zoom Meeting between the awardee, the campus nominator, and the chair of the pertinent subcommittee. The Executive Officer will attend to answer any questions about funding, travel logistics, and publicity for the event.