Award Announcment 2023:
SWS is pleased to announce the establishment of a new award to recognize the important contributions of applied sociology within the discipline, to formally value the work of applied sociologists within our membership, and to highlight SWS representation of the interests and concerns of feminist sociologists working in academia and in the applied world. As an organization that both welcomes and supports the leadership of sociologists from diverse race, class, and ethnic backgrounds, as well as gender identities, ages, sexuality and ability, this award formally recognizes SWS’s welcoming and supportive spirit to feminist applied sociologists.
While applied sociology has been an important presence within the field for decades, many factors have contributed to the rising interest in applied sociology careers. These include the current state of the academic job market, challenges posed by the pandemic regarding teaching in academic institutions, and the increased visibility of applied sociology as both a legitimate and critically important career option.
For nearly a decade, SWS has sponsored annual workshops and panel presentations aimed at supporting sociology graduate students interested in pursuing the applied sociology “track,” as well as supporting faculty who are mentoring graduate students interested in applied careers. More recently, some of our academic members have been working to incorporate applied sociology courses into their curriculum, as well as to create innovative approaches to offering applied sociology master’s degree programs. This award supports aspiring applied sociologists and supports emerging and experienced applied sociologists.
Each year, the recipient will be featured in Winter Meeting programming that emphasizes the relevance of this avenue for sociologists to pursue. The format of the session will be developed in conjunction with the Career Development Committee. For example, the awardee may prepare an address, be interviewed about their trajectory and contributions by another SWS applied sociologist or be introduced by a panel discussing their works’ relevance for feminist sociology.
This award will be given out for the first time this January, 2024. Deadline for nominations is October 1, 2023
The Applied Sociology Award consists of the following:
- The awardee is expected to attend the Winter Meeting in person to participate not only in their award event, but in other formats (see above).
- Airfare, ground transportation, and travel costs (such as meals while traveling to and from this meeting) will be covered by SWS for the awardee to attend the Winter Meeting (up to $500). The awardee will also receive a complimentary Winter Meeting registration.
- The awardee will receive an award of $250 and a certificate.
- Through the SWS gift membership program, the awardee will receive ten gift SWS memberships to offer to applied sociologists (either aspiring or currently active).
- Virtual webinar where the Applied Sociology award recipient is honored. The recording will be made available through the SWS Open YouTube Channel.
- Awardee will be featured in Network News.
All nominations must be received via the awards submission form within the membership portal. Please visit: sws.memberclicks.net to access the membership portal and awards submissions form. The nomination packet should include:
- The nominee’s curriculum vitae
- One central nomination letter highlighting and summarizing the supporting materials
- No more than 10 supporting letters should be included in the nomination packet. One appropriate option is for a group of people to write one nomination letter and all sign it
- All nomination letters should be submitted via the membership portal awards submissions form.
- Nominators should include their complete contact information (e-mail, surface mail and telephone) in the submission.