10:00 am – 11:30 am MDT (Plenary will be Live Streamed.)
Plenary I: Feminist Mobilizing for Better Futures: A Transnational Perspective
Chair: Esther Hernández-Medina, Pomona College
- Barbara Sutton, Professor, Department of Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies, University at Albany, “The Power of the Green Tide: Feminist Mobilizations for Abortion Rights in Argentina”
- Lizeth Sinisterra, Professor, Department of Social Studies, Universidad Icesi, “¡Es cuestión de dignidad!: mujeres afrodescendientes sosteniendo la vida en medio de la muerte” (It’s a matter of dignity!: Afrodescendant women sustaining life among death)
- Manisha Desai, Head of Sociology Department, Professor, Sociology and Asian and Asian American Studies, University of Connecticut, “Why Feminist Futures? What about a Just Present? Reflections on a Dalit Women’s Collective Farm in Tamil Nadu, India”
- Hülya Gülbahar, EŞİK – Women’s Platform for Equality, Turkey – SWS Global Feminist Partner (GFP), “In search of a method for feminist organizing against masculinist restoration: The experience of the Women’s Platform for Equality (ESIK)”
- SM Rodriguez, Assistant Professor of Gender, Rights and Human Rights, London School of Economics, Africanist, “Anti Carceral Feminisms for Decolonial Futures”
- Katherina Tatiana Cabrera Cordero, Encargada de Juventud, Confederación Nacional de Mujeres del Campo (CONAMUCA), República Dominicana, “Debemos luchar por un mundo donde socialmente seamos iguales, humanamente diferentes y totalmente libres” (We must fight for a world where we are socially equal, humanly different and completely free)
Learn more about all the programming for the 2022 SWS Winter Meeting: https://socwomen.org/winter-meeting-2022/.
Register for the Virtual 2022 Winter Meeting to get access to this plenary as it is being live streamed: https://sws.memberclicks.net/22wmrvirtual.