Pennsylvania Convention Center and the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
- August 11, 2018 – August 13, 2018
- Philadelphia, PA
2018 Summer Meeting Final Program: 2018 Summer Meeting Final Program
2018 Summer Meeting Final Program Large Font Version: Summer Program Draft LARGE FONT
2018 Summer Meeting Final Program Word Doc: Summer Meeting Final Program Word Doc
Click Here: Things to do in Philadelphia, PA Booklet
Awards Banquet Scheduled for Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 6:30 pm at the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
Breakfast with Scholars is scheduled for Sunday, August 12, 2018 at 9:30-10:30
The official dates of the SWS Summer Meeting are: Saturday, August 11, 2018 – Monday, August 13, 2018.
History of Breakfast with Scholars:
Breakfast with Scholars (BWS) was created some years ago by student members of SWS who sought to provide a low-stakes forum for junior and senior scholars to meet during the Meetings. Since that time, Breakfast with Scholars has taken shape in the form of an informal breakfast roundtable session held the second or third day of the conference. There, students and junior scholars congregate around themed tables co-organized by Student Caucus volunteers, who invite 2-3 scholars to be featured in the discussion. Usually, these scholars are asked to attend due to their work in the area(s) related to the theme of the table. During breakfast, the scholars typically share their research or other insights while in dialogue with folks in attendance. Through this process, the scholars help advance the SWS mission, especially its concern for advancing feminist research, mentorship, networking, and professionalism. It is also a great way for more seasoned SWSers to create a welcoming atmosphere for newer members.
Here’s a quick guide to how to tweet during the SWS/ASA meetings:
1. Follow @socwomen on Twitter (and @ASAnews, @ABSociologists, and @SSSP1org). ASA sections often have their own twitter accounts as well (e.g. @ASASexandGender)
2. Find other SWSers to follow on Twitter (and add yourself if you’re not listed): http://bit.ly/SWSTweets (capitalizations matter with this link, but not with Twitter hashtags or @’s).
3. During the conference, use the hashtags #SWSPhilly (and #ASA18, #SSSP2018, and #ABS) so that others following those tags can see your tweets. You can use other tags to bring attention to different issues. For example: #FeministSociology #MeTooPhD #CiteBlackWomen #Ilooklikeaprofessor #transjustice #hiddencurriculum etc.
4. You can also tweet about ASA sessions as they happen. Hashtag with the ASA session number (e.g. #2152).
5. You can tweet to promote your own ASA presentation by using the session number hashtag, and other hashtags related to your research topic. If you also tweet it @socwomen, I will do my best to retweet to our followers.
6. Any feminist sociology-related tweets about sessions, events, etc. should include @socwomen. I will do my best to retweet these during the conference.