The Media Relations Committee is charged with providing SWS with direction in supporting the organization’s Mission by disseminating feminist sociological research to the public particularly in areas where there is public debate and/or where a feminist sociological perspective is lacking. Committee work includes providing training for members to work effectively with the media, other workshops to assist members, working closely with other members and committees to create a cohesive message, and creating a structure to engage with the media.
In short, our mission is to make feminist sociological research accessible. We strive to find ways to bring feminist issues into the public eye while also highlighting the work of our members.
- Step 1 – Branding: This step includes creating a cohesive brand with guidelines and elements that are accessible to members.
- Step 2 – Reorganizing the website: This step includes reorganizing the website to increase its flow and consistency while making it easier for members, the public, and journalists to navigate.
- Step 3 – Blog purpose and structure: This step includes reorganizing the blog, revisiting the intent of the blog, and using the blog to highlight our members as well as disseminate information.
- Step 4 – Webforms: This step includes creating and implementing web forms for those who want to be added to the expert database, submit to the Network News, submit a blog post, be invited as a guest on the podcast, etc.
- Step 5 – Podcast: This step includes planning, creating, and hosting an SWS podcast that features members and their work with the intention of sharing feminist research with the public.
How you can help
- Do you want to learn more about social media, websites, and branding while gaining some service experience?
- Do you have experience that you think could help our committee’s initiatives (it’s also OK if you don’t)?
- Are you looking for a way to become more involved in SWS?
Contact for more information:
- Erin Baker, Chair, Erin.email@example.com
We are currently accepting volunteers and members. Anyone with a current SWS membership is encouraged to join the Media Relations Committee regardless of experience or expertise. Please reach out with any questions.
Current members and volunteers
- Erin Baker, Chair
- Mairead Carr
- Georgiann Davis
- Pilar Gonalons
- Whitney Hunt
- Wendy Christensen, Social Media Coordinator, ex officio
- Barret Katuna, Executive Officer, ex officio