We invite applications for the 2018 Esther Ngan-ling Chow and Mareyjoyce Green Scholarship, formerly known as the Women of Color Dissertation Scholarship. All applications are due no later than Monday April 2, 2018.
Please email Andrea (Drea) S. Boyles and Ranita Ray at firstname.lastname@example.org with applications or questions.
Sociologists for Women in Society, has worked hard to build a coalition of women scholars who share concerns about the status of women both domestically and internationally. In keeping with that mission, SWS established a Women of Color Scholarship at its annual meeting in February 2007. The primary purposes of the scholarship are:
- To offer support to female scholars who are from underrepresented groups and are studying concerns that women of color face domestically and/or internationally.
- To increase the participation of students of color in SWS.
- Student must identify as a woman from a racial/ethnic group facing racial discrimination in the United
- Dissertation must be sociologically relevant scholarship that addresses the concerns of women of color, domestically and/or internationally.
- Student must be in the early stages of writing a dissertation.
- Student must be “All But Dissertation” (ABD) by the time the term of the award begins in August 2018. (Must be certified by the student’s advisor or Graduate Director)
- Applicant must demonstrate a financial need for the award.
- Domestic and international students are eligible to apply.(U.S. citizenship is not required to be eligible
for this award).
Student Application Process
Complete application packets should be emailed to the chairs, Corinne Castro and Ranita Ray at email@example.com.
Each packet must include:
- A two-page (double-spaced, 12 point font) personal statement that details short and long term career and research goals. The statement must also state which racial/ethnic group(s) the applicant represents.
- A Curriculum Vitae
- Two letters of recommendation addressing the content and quality of the student’s work and progress in the program. One of these letters must be from the Graduate Director or Dissertation Advisor who must address the financial need of the applicant, as well as certify the date on which the applicant became or will become ABD. Please have letter writers email the letters directly to firstname.lastname@example.org. Letter writer should include “Chow-Green Award” in the subject heading of their email.
- Proposal (not to exceed 5 pages, double-spaced, 12 point font) for the dissertation research which outlines:
- Purpose of research
- Work to be accomplished through scholarship sponsorship
- Time line for completing dissertation
- All of these documents (with the exception of the letters of recommendation) must be combined into one PDF file.
Responsibilities of Recipient
- Attend the summer and winter meetings(2018-2019). Free registration and a $500 stipend will be
available to the winner for this purpose.
- Submit a brief report (3 pages max) on the work completed during the scholarship year, no later than 1 month after the end of the award period. This report should be mailed to the SWS executive office to the attention of the “Women of Color Scholarship Committee.”
- SWS Executive Officer, Barret Katuna
- PO Box 150
- South Glastonbury, CT 06073
The winner will receive a $15,000 scholarship (for the academic year 2018-2019), a plaque and SWS membership for one year. In addition the recipient will receive free registration for both the summer and winter meetings, along with an additional $500 grant to enable attendance at the winter meeting provided in the form of a reimbursemet.
- 2018 Marisa D. Salinas
- 2017 Chaniqua D. Simpson
- 2016 Karen Buenavista Hanna
- 2015 Angie Mejia
- 2014 Sandibel Borges
- 2013 Jennifer James
- 2012 Paula Ross
- 2011 Chandra Waring
- 2010 Veronica Montes
- 2009 Corinne Castro
- 2008 Renne M. Byrd
- 2007 Maria Olivia Salcido