The Publications Committee is an elected committee with 6 members elected to the committee and an additional 6 “ex-officio” members (Treasurer, Treasurer-Elect, Executive Officer, Network News Editor, Gender & Society Editor, Book Review Editor). Two members are elected each year for staggered, three-year terms. The major responsibility of the Publications Committee is to oversee all publications issued by the organization, including Gender & Society and Network News. The committee’s duties include (but are not limited to):
- Currently working on contract negotiation with publishers for Gender & Society and have appointed a committee.
- Seeking new editor for Gender & Society and approval of budgets for the journal.
- Review of proposals for Special Issues of Gender & Society.
- Appointment of the Book Review Editor of Gender & Society.
- Appointment of the Editor of Network News.
- Advising editors as needed
Actions & Activities
In the past, the Committee has:
- Negotiated a 7-year contract with Sage Publications for the publication of Gender & Society. The contract included a $150,000 signing bonus for SWS and took effect Jan. 1, 2010.
- Appointed a new Editor of Network News: Melissa Day
- Appointed Book Review Editor of Gender & Society: Kelsy Burke
- Appointed the Editor of Gender & Society who began in 2019: Barbara Risman
- Organized a panel on Open Access and Technological Change related to Publication for the 2010 Summer Meetings in Atlanta.
- Gender & Society Website
- Network News– Our quarterly newsletter
- Gender & Society Special Issues Guidelines, September 2020
NCFDD webinar on “Dismantling Disciplinary Whiteness: Centering Care in Editorial Stewardship” https://www.facultydiversity.org/webinars/editorialstewardship
Anti-Racist Scholarly Reviewing Practices: A Heuristic for Editors, Reviewers, and Authors,” https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lZmZqeNNnYfYgmTKSbL2ijYbR4OMovv6A-bDwJRnwx8/edit#
For the current co-chairs, please visit: https://socwomen.org/about/current-officers-and-chairs/.
Listing of All Elected Members:
- Chaitanya Lakkimsetti (2022-2025) Co-Chair
- Manisha Desai (2022-2025) Co-Chair
- Emily Mann (2021-2024)
- Manisha Desai (2022-2024)
- Andrea S. Boyles (2022-2025)
- Laurel Westbrook (2023-2025)
- Marlese Durr(2023-2025)