The Publications Committee is an elected committee with 6 members elected to the committee and an additional 6 “ex-officio” members (Treasurer, Treasurer-Elect, Executive Officer, Network News Editor, Gender & Society Editor, Book Review Editor). Two members are elected each year for staggered, three-year terms. The major responsibility of the Publications Committee is to oversee all publications issued by the organization, including Gender & Society and Network News. The committee’s duties include (but are not limited to):
- Negotiation of a contract with publishers for Gender & Society.
- Appointment of editors for Gender & Society and approval of budgets for the journal.
- Review of proposals for Special Issues of Gender & Society.
- Appointment of the Book Review Editor of Gender & Society.
- Appointment of the Editor of Network News.
- Advising editors as needed
Actions & Activities
The Committee has:
- Negotiated a 7-year contract with Sage Publications for the publication of Gender & Society. The contract included a $150,000 signing bonus for SWS and took effect Jan. 1, 2010.
- Appointed a new Editor of Network News: Marjukka Ollilainen , firstname.lastname@example.org
- Appointed Book Review Editor of Gender & Society: Catherine Richards Solomon, email@example.com
- Appointed the Editor of Gender & Society who began in 2019: Barbara Risman
- Organized a panel on Open Access and Technological Change related to Publication for the 2010 Summer Meetings in Atlanta.
- Gender & Society Website
- Network News– Our quarterly newsletter
- Gender & Society Special Issues Guidelines, September 2020
- Bandana Purkayastha: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Yasemin Bessen-Cassino: email@example.com
Listing of All Elected Members:
Bandana Purkayastha (2018-2021) Co-Chair
Yasemin Bessen-Cassino (2019-2022) Co-Chair
Minjeong Kim (2018-2021)
Vrushali Patil (2019-2022)
Zakiya Luna (2020-2023)
Victoria Reyes (2020-2023)