The Membership Committee is a standing committee focused on membership. This committee is an open committee and any member is welcome to attend. The committee official consists of: the SWS Vice President (chair), two elected members, the Student Representative, and the Secretary.
The Membership Committee makes every effort to ensure SWS meets the needs of members. To help accomplish this goal, we have the Hand Program and the Welcome Committee to ensure all members feel included and welcome at SWS events. Additionally, the Membership Committee has a liaison that facilitates communication between the national SWS and regional and local chapters.
The Hand Program and the Welcome Committee
This program is named after the late Jeanne Hand, a sociology Ph.D. candidate from Tulane University and active SWS member. It connects newer SWS members to more established members to have coffee or a meal during meetings. The purpose of the SWS Hand program is to informally meet people in SWS. SWS is a large organization, and meetings can be quite overwhelming. If you find professional meetings to be intimidating experiences filled with unfamiliar faces, the Hand Program can make meetings more welcoming. (Members seeking mentorship should look into the mentoring program through SWS.)
The Welcome Committee is a rotating group of volunteers who are enthusiastic and passionate about inclusivity in SWS. This committee ensures new and existing members feel welcome at meetings through a number of small activities from answering member questions to offering a seat at our table at the banquet. Additionally, this committee helps organize the opening receptions and helps coordinate organized dinners at the Winter meetings.
SWS National Liaison to Regional and Local Chapters
The Membership Committee oversees local and regional chapter membership through a rotating position “SWS National Liaison.” The SWS National Liaison:
• Fosters communication between the national SWS organization with local/regional chapters
• Collects annual reports from local/regional chapters
• Works with the executive office and officers from local/regional SWS chapters to publicize events through Network News and ask and answer chapter questions
• Assists in the formation of new chapters by advising on new chapter guidelines, publicizing new chapters in formation, and collecting reports. Guidelines on how to start a chapter are posted here.
• Keeps an updated list of active SWS local and regional chapters and contact persons and keep SWS webpage on local and regional chapters current. Chapters and contacts’ names can be found here.
Note: Requests for monetary support from local and regional chapters are now submitted to the Treasurer and not the liaison. The form for funding requests is located here.
Chair: Nancy López
This committee is chaired by the vice president.
Ethel Mickey (2019-2021) Laura Simon (2019-2021) Daniela Jauk (2018-2020)
Tanya Cook (2018-2020)
Kristen Barber Stephanie Nawyn Miho Iwata Kylie Parrotta